News Item: Arrest made in murder
(Category: Biker News)
Posted by
Wednesday 28 June 2006 - 13:43:16

Manchester – Alleged shooter Christopher Legere turned himself into Manchester police last night and was charged with second-degree murder in the death of John Denoncourt, police said.

Legere, 36, contacted Manchester police through attorney Bruce Kenna and turned himself in without incident, police said. He is scheduled to be arraigned today at Manchester District Court.

The arrest ends a hunt for Legere that began after Denoncourt was shot Sunday outside 3-Cousins Pizza & Lounge on Wilson Street.

The shooting may have started with a hug from a gang member’s girlfriend, according to a friend and Denoncourt’s mother.

Lucien Prive said Denoncourt was shot outside 3-Cousins Pizza & Lounge because a bartender there gave him a hug. Prive said the bartender is dating Christopher Legere, a member of the Outlaws motorcycle gang and the man accused of shooting Denoncourt dead in the chest.

Denoncourt, 32, was fighting with Legere and two other men inside the bar when the first shots were fired, according to his mother, Doris. Though wounded, he tried to flee to his home on Howe Street, a few blocks from the bar, she said. He made it about halfway, she said.

“He was running for his life to get home and he never made it,” she said.

Legere, of 16 Long Hill Road, Raymond, is a member of the Raymond chapter of the Outlaws Motorcycle Club.

Denoncourt’s body was found a short distance from the 3-Cousins Pizza & Lounge.

Prive said Legere’s girlfriend was tending bar at the Wilson Street bar when Denoncourt walked in early Sunday morning. Earlier in the evening, Denoncourt went out with friends but he parted ways with them when he was refused admission to a club because he was wearing a Hells Angels T-shirt.

The Hells Angels and Outlaws are rival gangs.

Prive said Denoncourt and Legere exchanged heated words after the woman hugged Denoncourt, and a fight broke out. Two other people joined Legere in the fight, Prive said, but Denoncourt got the best of them.

His longtime friend, who he said was like a brother to him, was a small, "tough guy and really strong." Prive said he never knew Denoncourt to carry a knife or gun. His friend was "old school," someone who used his fists, not weapons.

The shooting happened about 1:50 a.m. Sunday. Police received reports of several shots being fired near the bar, and when they arrived, Denoncourt was found dead a short distance from the bar.

A brown splotch still stains the pavement where Denoncourt’s body spilled. Denoncourt’s mother said she has visited the site again and again.

“I keep coming back,” she said. “I just can’t stay away.”

A small memorial has sprouted on the sidewalk there. At the center is a 2-foot-high wooden crucifix with “Johnny” carved on the vertical plank.

Denoncourt’s friend, Brian Johnson of Hooksett, pieced together the crucifix with wood from his back yard. Denoncourt had been using the wood to build a “four seasons” room for Johnson’s wife.

“That’s my baby boy, I’ll tell you. That kid,” Johnson said, tearing up as he stared at the roadside memorial yesterday.

Other friends have since added bouquets of flowers. Yesterday morning, Denoncourt’s mother put up a photo of her son. Beside his face, she wrote, “John, We love you.”

“This is what I want everyone to see,” she said. “That’s John.”

Senior Assistant Attorney General Jeffery Strelzin, who heads the homicide division, said Denoncourt died from a single gunshot wound to the chest. He said there were reports of several shots being fired, but the Manchester man was struck only once.

Prive said Denoncourt and Legere knew each other but were not friends.

Denoncourt was a self-employed contractor and did not belong to any motorcycle club, Prive said.

“We have friends who are Hells Angels but he was in no gang at all,” Prive said. Earlier this month, the two had attended the annual motorcycle races in Loudon. Prive said anyone can buy a “support T-shirt” for the Hells Angels at the races.

“He has no affiliation with the Hells Angels whatsoever,” he said.

Denoncourt did have a motorcycle — a Harley-Davidson that Prive bought for him after he built Prive’s automotive repair shop on West Street.

"He loved that motorcycle," Prive said.

The motorcycle was taken as evidence by police and Denoncourt’s family has requested it be returned. Prive said they want to have it for his funeral.

Strelzin said authorities are considering the family’s request.

"Law enforcement makes every effort to accommodate the family and still balance what is required for the case," he said.

He said it is not unusual in a homicide case for a family to request the return of the victim’s personal items. Strelzin explained, however, when an item is taken as evidence by police executing a search warrant, a court must approve its return.

As of early yesterday afternoon, Strelzin said his office had not asked a judge to OK the motorcycle’s return to the family.

Prive said investigators told him they wanted to fingerprint the motorcycle and would try to get it returned to the family before tonight’s funeral service.

This news item is from White Trash Networks
( )